Saturday, November 29, 2008

Back to School!

After much thought, prayer, and general "stewing" about it, I have made the decision to go back to school.  Although I accumulated exactly 100 credit hours while at BYU (more than enough to graduate, given the right combination of classes!), I am not even close to having earned a bachelor's degree in any specific field.  Now if they offered a degree for Everything but Nothing, I might be close to graduation!  

I began college in 1998 and continued until 2002, when I quit unexpectedly due to pregnancy and the challenges that naturally brings.  While at BYU I considered majoring in Music (too expected), Home Economics (too similar to stay-at-home mom), Anthropology (why, I don't know...), English/Journalism (don't like writing that much), Near Eastern Studies (too foreign), Elementary Ed (too generic), and finally I decided on Early Childhood Education.  At the time I really liked the idea of the Music/Elementary Ed double major, but that was a monstrously long and difficult major. Not a chance.

Well, it still is a monstrously long and difficult major, and yet I still like the idea of graduating in both fields!  Yes, I am returning to BYU so that I can earn a degree as an Elementary Education Music Specialist.  I hope to someday use my increased knowledge and credentials not only to teach but also to advocate the importance of music and arts in schools.  My grandmother has been a great example to me of someone who struggles against odds to advocate this great cause.  I would love to be involved in something like that, something bigger than myself.  

Incredulous as it may be, as unachievable as it seems, or as long and hard the road may be, I have come to the decision to go for it!  I hope I can do it!  Hence, I would like to invite any or all of you for your words of encouragement and wishes of perseverance, as I certainly expect to encounter the desire to quit, and the recurring feeling of incompetency!  That said, here goes (well, in January)!

If you would like, you may observe my preliminary audition video to the BYU School of Music!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cami, this was fantastic! It was so good to hear you singing again. I'm so happy you've decided to go back to school - you're going to do great!!! Love, Mom

Jordan said...

that was beautiful. You have an amazing talent! Good luck in school. Do you actually have to go down to campus a few times a week? That would be fun!
-Melissa

Michelle Taft said...

Hey, I finally took the time to figure out how to install the audio driver on my new computer. You sound amazing! When does it all start?

Lynnie said...

Good for you Cami! I have been really missing BYU badly of late and wishing there was a way for me to be in school there, while living here. I went back to school to get a nursing degree. Best of luck. You can do it!